Sunday, March 04, 2018

Figuratiphilia

I have been looking forward to the Tate Britain exhibition All too Human ever since I saw it announced last year.  So often anticipation is dashed, but not in this case.  I am definitely inspired - there are so many really good paintings in the show.  Some I had not seen before, and one in particular captivated me completely.
Walter Sickert: Noctes Ambrosianae  (image from here)
Sickert is not an artist at whose name I become excited.  Until now he has been only of academic interest to me, but today I saw what for me is an exquisite small piece, shown above.  With a limited number of gestured stokes he has captured attitudes and emotions of an audience.
Francis Bacon: Study for Portrait of Lucien Freud (image from here)
Bacon is top of the bill in the title of the exhibition, and has for a long time been a thorough favourite of mine, and so I am familiar with many of his works.  It is always such a pleasure to see previously unseen pieces.  I sat in front of the portrait of Freud above, and the triptych below for some time.
Francis Bacon: Triptych (image from here)
Another great favourite artist of mine is Paula Rego, and I was delighted to see familiar pieces, and one new to me, shown below.
Paula Rego: The Company of Women (image from here)
There is so much else - each room packed with thoroughly rewarding work.  It is an excellent exhibition, and I look forward to reading the catalogue, and perhaps revisiting the show itself.
Some reviews are here and here, here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment